As the technology we use in our everyday lives marches relentlessly on, the techniques we use to look after ourselves and improve our appearance continues to evolve and improve at the same time. It was only a short time ago that mobile phones and the internet didn’t even exist, but now they do, it’s relatively easy for us to research the latest and safest ways to keep ourselves looking (and feeling) great.
The Dermal Filler Revolution
Once only accessible to the rich and famous, cosmetic procedures that could help us look younger and healthier were pretty much only available to the elite few who could afford them. Fortunately for the rest of us, that’s certainly not the case anymore. Treatments like dermal fillers are now surprisingly affordable, and you don’t need to own your own yacht to be able to pay for them!
Dermal (hyaluronic) fillers have largely replaced older techniques for plumping up the skin; especially the lips. Previous techniques involved the use of your own body fat which was taken from another area by liposuction and then injected into the lips. Lip implants were another popular option at one time but both of these are now considered less safe than dermal lip fillers (or lip augmentation). Until fairly recently, collagen injections were quite popular but once again, dermal fillers are now regarded as safer and longer lasting.
For a more in-depth look at what dermal fillers are in general, our Kent Clinic Dermal Fillers treatment page will provide you with more information, together with great introductory prices (if booked by January 31st) for you to take advantage of. As a brief summary, dermal fillers (or hyaluronic acid fillers) are injected just under your skin’s surface to smooth out wrinkles and help reduce the visible signs of ageing. The most common areas of application are around the nose and mouth, chin and jawline, cheeks, and of course, the lips.
Dermal fillers are steadily growing in popularity for several reasons so let’s take a brief look at what those reasons are.
1. Price – As we’ve already touched upon, the cost of having dermal fillers won’t break the bank. For as little as a couple of hundred pounds (see our special dermal filler introductory prices), both men and women can take advantage of the long-lasting benefits of this particular treatment.
2. The results are immediate – As soon as the hyaluronic filler is injected into your skin you’ll be able to see the results. There’s no need to wait a couple of weeks to see the plumping effect and you can choose the look that’s right for you. You can have a single treatment to see how it looks and then return for another session, or you can choose to have several different areas treated during the same appointment.
3. The results are subtle – If you’re like most people, you probably won’t want to radically change your appearance overnight. Because the effects are virtually instantaneous, you can choose the subtlety of the overall appearance of the area that’s being treated and decide when you think it looks right for you. It goes without saying that if you’re uncertain about any aspect of this, we’ll be right there to offer you reassurance and advice. It may be the first treatment for you, but it’s not for us. We’ll be on-hand to offer expert advice based on the experience we have from treating many other satisfied clients.
4. Your body already contains hyaluronic acid – Just because the treatment contains the word “acid”, this doesn’t mean that it’s something to be scared of. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance that’s already present in your body that not only attracts, but also retains moisture in your skin. It’s certainly not an alien substance to your body, in fact, it’s what keeps a baby’s skin looking so plump – Their skin actually contains more of it.
5. There’s no downtime – Once your treatment is complete, you can enjoy the benefits of your new look straight away. You may experience some initial minor redness or bruising for a short time, but you can return to your normal daily routine. There are a few dos and don’ts that we’ll make you aware of before you leave, but aside from these, you can carry on with your normal life.
6. It’s long-lasting and safe – Modern hyaluronic-based dermal fillers generally last longer than older, more outdated types of treatments. It’s also widely considered to be the safest option nowadays too. Depending on your metabolism, the treatment will typically last at least six months, and can even last up to a year. Once the effects begin to wear off, you can simply book another appointment with us for a top-up treatment.
7. It can boost your self-confidence – We all want to look and feel great and dermal fillers can help you along with doing just that. We’re confident that you’ll be delighted with the ‘new you’ that walks out the door of our Kent Clinic after seeing that you look younger and revitalised.
More about Lip Fillers (Lip Augmentation)
We thought we’d single out lip fillers for a special mention as this particular treatment is so popular. As we’ve already mentioned, hyaluronic acid dermal lip fillers are now the preferred choice amongst professionals due to their safe and long-lasting nature, as well as the amazing results they achieve.
It’s not difficult to see why lip fillers/lip augmentation treatments are so popular. Our human brains naturally draw us towards the faces of those we meet. When we communicate verbally with others, they’ll naturally glance at our mouths whilst we’re talking. The mouth and eyes are the areas that others tend to look at most when we’re communicating with them and the lips are of special importance because, well…. we kiss with them too!
Throughout human history, our lips have been associated with love, romance, and sex appeal. Quite simply, thicker, fuller lips with good symmetry are seen as more attractive amongst humans than thinner ones. It’s an unfortunate fact of life, but there it is. So, if you have thinner lips due to ageing or simply because of your genes, lip augmentation could be the perfect solution for you.
General Aftercare Guidelines
We’ll take great care of you during your visit to our luxury Kent Clinic and will let you know what to expect when you leave us. As a general guide, you may experience some swelling in your lips after the procedure. There may also be some small red spots as a result of the injections. Any minor bruising should be completely gone after a week. You should also avoid pursing your lips if you can for the first couple of days afterwards.
As your lips are plumper, they’ll also feel slightly different and this is to be expected and is perfectly normal but don’t worry, you’ll get used to this in no time.
We’re based in the heart of Kent and are ideally situated if you live in Aylesford, Bearsted, Beckenham, Bickley, Birchington on Sea, Broadstairs, Bromley, Canterbury, Chatham, Chislehurst, Crowborough, Croydon, Dartford, Deal, Dover, East Malling, Edenbridge, Folkestone, Gillingham, Gravesend, Greenwich, Herne Bay, Hythe, Keston, Kings Hill, Maidstone, Margate, Orpington, Rainham, Ramsgate, Rochester, Sandwich, Sevenoaks, Sidcup, Sittingbourne, Strood, Swanley, Tonbridge, Tunbridge Wells, Wadhurst, Westgate on Sea, West Malling, West Wickham and Whitstable.